Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Going to Hell


What a catchy title, huh?


So, I'm plugging a book for a friend of mine, Fr. Rick Morley, an Episcopal priest who used to live right here in my little town of Lonaconing, MD. Rick's book discusses the difference between what people/churches/etc. say we need to be "saved," and what Jesus says about how to be "saved" throughout the gospels. Is salvation based on faith alone? Works-based faith? Something more than that?


Who's "right" when it comes to issues of salvation?


from page 70: "The Good News here is that there is no checklist of good deeds to fill out. Jesus is talking about a manner of living here, and it’s one that isn’t motivated out of the fear of Hell or the hope of heaven, but a life that’s driven by an authentic love."


Specific parables and dialogues from the gospels are presented, which offer different perspectives on this question, which Rick then asks, "Right here, what exactly does Jesus say that salvation depends on?"


My prediction is that this book will be a bit offensive to fundamentalists, challenging to radical liberals, and, hopefully, somewhat uncomfortable to us all, because Jesus came to call us out of our comfort zones and truly examine our lives lived in relationship with Him.


Rick approached me with this book, still only in digital format and not yet published, and asked me what I thought. Very humbled, but also very excited to be a part of his editing process, I did as he asked, read it, and responded to the questions that he asks. When the book was published, and I received a print edition, I was once again humbled to see that some the comments I offered him became small changes in the book's content.


So, yes, there is a little bit of me in there too.


Read the book, it's a dialogue, and is written in such a way as to spark further dialogue, not only with others, but with yourself, and with Jesus Christ. Jesus, what exactly are you saying that salvation depends on?

3 comments:

  1. Tom:

    You are asking great questions here. I hope you keep asking.

    As for me, I think the whole idea of comparing God and Tao heads in the wrong direction. "God" and "Tao" are both symbols trying to point to something for which there is no symbol. It is beyond symbols.

    I would add that I think Greg's view of "God" is too small. Mine certainly was for a long, long time. Still is, but not quite as small as it used to be.

    I grew up in Christian fundamentalism, then migrated to the Presbyterian Church USA in 1989 (long story). From there, I progressed to telling people I was a "Buddhist Presbyterian," and now I say I'm a profane Presbyterian Zen Taoist -- not that I'm into labels or anything.

    Thanks for this post and your others. Keep asking questions. It's the best way I've found to keep moving along my spiritual journey.

    H. K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your insights and advice. I have been negligent in posting to this blog for far too long now, but have not given up "asking questions."

    I must say I am intrigued by your self-label "Presbyterian Zen Taoist." A college friend of mine used the term "polymorphous Christian," as a sort of label with which to shed other labels, but we always seem to find ourselves attempting to categorize ourselves in some way, to explain ourselves, even as we do God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Him Tom, I stumbled upon your blog through Facebook, and was delighted to read your plug for a pastor whose blog I've often used in my own devotional time preparing for sermons. Thanks for your questioning blog, and hope you keep it up -- I'll keep reading it.
    Heather from Wartburg

    ReplyDelete