Tuesday, June 9, 2009

This Hebrew Lord

"I find the word religion and the connotations of the word religious strangely absent from the biblical story. Nowhere in the gospel do I find the goal of Christian mission to be that of making one religious; rather, that goal is to set one free, to call one to life, to invite one to love. I have become so impressed with this contrast that the words biblical and religious have become for me not synonyms, but antonyms. I have repeatedly discovered that the traditional religious meanings of many of the words of our Christian heritage have moved so far afield from the biblical meaning the words had when they first entered our theological vocabulary that misunderstanding is impossible to avoid (Spong, John Shelby. This Hebrew Lord. Pp 16-17)."

Hmmm...I think I like this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment